Recently I've been experimenting with a number of curation sites that are beneficial for creating and sharing lists. While exploring these tools, I've been "fine tuning" my Web 2.0 list for schools. I created a list of 25 Web 2.0 sites for education over a year ago -- but a lot has changed since then. More sites have been developed and more tools are available to students and educators than ever before. This list is in
50 Web 2.0 Sites for Schools
Pencils - 19Pencils is the easiest way
for teachers to discover, share and manage web-based educational content with
students. A teacher can create quizzes, websites, track students, and
- ACMI Generator - This is a great site for older
students for digital storytelling and creating a storyboard scene with a
- Animoto - Create wonderful looking slideshows that
includes, video, images, music, and more.
- Aviary Education - A safe private environment to use
Aviary's suite of online tools for: audio, video, and image
- Boom Writer - BoomWriter is a supremely engaging creative writing
website that has students reading, writing and assessing content in ways they’ve
never done before!
- Classtell - A nice site for teachers to create an
- Social bookmarking for teachers
where they can create free student accounts.
- Dropbox - A great way to share and collaborate on
documents on a number of different electronic devices.
- Edmodo - A wonderful safe/secure learning environment
for teachers and students. A nice all-in-one solution for
- Educaplay - A excellent way to create interactive
multimedia educational activities.
- Every1Speaks - A learning platform where students
learn through collaborative enquiry-based learning.
- Gaggle - A excellent suite of online learning tools
for filtered: emailing, messaging, forums, and more.
- Glogster - Creating collaborative and interactive
posters in this safe environment. A wonderful and very popular web 2.0
- GoAnimate - A terrific way to create custom
animations with an educational portal.
- Google Apps for Education - Does it really get much
better than this?
- Gnowledge - A wonderful site to create collaborative
online quizzes, share resources, view others quizzes, and more. Excellent tech
support and tutorial videos as well.
- Grockit Answers - A great teaching tool to create a
Q/A session for any YouTube video.
- Kidblog - A fantastic way to create a safe
environment for students to blog in. Everything is controlled by the teacher as
- Kerpoof - Lots of educational activities can be found
here such as: make a movie, draw a picture, and more.
- Kubbu - A free site for teachers to create games,
quizzes, or crosswords and then share them with students and view/analyze their
- Little Bird Tales - A wonderful free site for digital
storytelling that allows kids to record and narrate their
- Live Binders - Is an excellent site for creating an
online binder to collect and share resources with others.
- MentorMob - One of my favorite new sites for curating
the web into learning "playlists." This is an innovative way to teach a lesson,
unit, or any given topic.
- Mixbook - A great site for digital storytelling in a
safe environment. Educators get a discount on printed books.
- Musicshake - Legal, copyright, free music for every
student in your school - created by students, right from a
- Myths & Legends - One of the best free sites
around for digital storytelling in a safe environment with lots of characters,
themes, and objects to choose from.
- PhotoPeach - An excellent site for creating
slideshows and creating and managing student accounts.
- PikiFriends - A fun safe environment for online pen
pals for middle school and high school students.
- Pixton - A great way to motivate students by creating
digital stories using this comic creator.
- PresentationTube - A nice windows app for creating
presentations out of PowerPoint slides.
- Prezi - A excellent site for creating zooming
slideshows and presentations.
- Primary Access - A free suite of online tools for
students and teachers to create digital movies, storyboards, and other
- Primary Wall - A real-time collaboration tool that
allows students and teachers to create a page of online sticky notes. Great for
mind mapping and brainstorming!
- Skype in the Classroom - A great collaboration tool
for classrooms to video or audio chat with other educators and
- SideVibe - Turn bookmarked web content into blended
- SlideRocket - All you need is a Google Apps account
to use this free tool to creating stunning presentations.
- SpellingCity - One of the best sites around for
teaching and learning Spelling and Vocabulary. A very user-friendly and engaging
site to use.
- Storybird - A fantastic site to inspire students to
read & write through the use of digital storytelling.
- StoryJumper - A great site for digital storytelling
where students can incorporate their own art, publish online, share with others,
or order a print copy.
- SymbalooEDU - A wonderful way to organize educational
sites into one location for students.
- Triptico - A great free tool for teachers to help
create, share, and edit interactive lessons.
- ToonDoo Spaces - Create a private and safe
environment for digital storytelling through the use of an online
- VoiceThread - One of the most popular web 2.0 sites
around for creating dynamic and interactive slideshows and presentations. Also,
another great tool for digital storytelling.
- Webspiration - From the creators of Inspiration comes
this excellent web portal for creating mind maps, brainstorms, outlines, and
- Weebly - Create a free class/student blog or
- Wolfram Alpha - There is now an educational portal
for Wolfram's computational search engine. This portal contains dynamic
textbooks, lesson plans, widgets, interactives, and more.
- Yacapaca - A nice free all-in-one solution for
schools for creating quizzes, surveys, assessments, and more.
- YouTube for Schools - Access 1000s of YouTube videos
in a controlled environment without having to worry about
- Zimmer Twins - A great site for digital storytelling
with an educational portal.
- Zoho Wiki - A nice site for educators to create
online interactive content.