Digital Storytelling is the process of telling a story through the use of
digital means. It also happens to be one the easiest ways to integrate
technology into the classroom. Educators can use digital storytelling with
almost any subject and can even "flip" their classroom by using mobile apps.
Below is my comprehensive list of sites/apps that can be used for digital
storytelling, presented in alphabetical order.
- 30hands - A fantastic user-friendly iOS app for
creating a story by adding a narrations to photos. Also has an excellent video
tutorial to help users create a story.
- Animation Desk - A innovative iPad app that
allows a user to create a custom drawing and then animate it, as well as adding
- A fun site to create a puppet, record audio, and then embed into a site to
tell a story.
- Art Maker - A wonderful iPad app for kids to
create a digital story by selecting a background, adding characters, and then
- Bitstrips for Schools - A great site for creating
digital comics in the classroom ,with lots of resources and an educational
- BoomWriter - A fantastic safe site for students
(teachers create accounts - not student email required) to create digital
stories/books through a collaborative process. Once a story is completed, it
gets published online and an actual book can then be ordered.
- Bunsella Bedtimes Story - A great iOS app that
allows a person to record narration to a book to tell a story.
- Comic Life - Probably the most popular digital
comic iOS app for creating comics. This is a very fun and easy to use app for
telling the story by creating a customized comic.
Master - One of my favorite sites for creating a digital comic by
selecting a template, adding characters/props, and then adding text to tell a
Films - A nice site for creating a digital animated story and
then embedded into a site/blog to share it with others.
Card Flickr - A fun way to create a story through the use of five
random Flickr photos.
- i Tell a Story - Users of Garageband will feel
right at home with this great iOS app for creating a digital story.
- Inklewriter - A unique site that allows students
to collaborate with others to build a story by branching off of other
- Little Bird
Tales - One of the most popular sites for digital storytelling
that allows students to create their own art and record their voice. Also, there
is a excellent iOS app available for mobile learning.
Beliefs Comix - A nice site for creating digital comics in a
number of different languages as well of lots of educational resources.
- Meograph - An innovative site for four
dimensional storytelling that has an educational portal.
- Moo-O - A fantastic site that has students use
their own photo inside of a digital story.
- My Story - A wonderful iPad app for creating a
digital book/story. All a user has to do is draw or upload a picture, add some
text, and then record audio to tell a story.
StoryMaker - A very fun site for creating a digital story by
adding lots of elements such as: characters, objects, backgrounds, and
- myCreate - An excellent iPad app for easily
creating stop motion animations.
& Legends - A great site for digital storytelling where users
create a story by adding characters, scenes, and text. There is an educational
- Pixntell - A simple-to-use iOS app for organizing
iPhotos into a story, then recording audio.
- Pixton for Schools - A nice site with educational
portal for creating digital comics.
Access - An interesting site for creating a digital story with
historical stock footage.
- Qwiki - A simple to use iOS app for creating a
story. Qwiki automatically groups pictures and videos to create a presentation.
A user can then customize this by drag-n-dropping into any order they want or
selecting specific music.
- Scribble Press - A terrific iPad app for creating
a digital book/story through drawing and object tools. Users can also order a
print copy of their book.
- SonicPics - A great iOS app for creating digital
story by recording narrations to a user's photos.
- Speech Journal - A nice iPad app for pairing
recorded audio with a digital picture from one's iPhoto library to create a
- Stage'D - A cool site for creating a visually
stunning CGI rendered story.
- Sock Puppets - A very fun iOS app that allows
users to lip-sync audio to a sock puppet. One of my kids' favorites!
- Story Creator - One of my favorite iOS apps for
creating a digital story by syncing audio and photos together. Also, an option
allows for highlighting of text during narration to help a student with
- Story Patch - A excellent site for creating a
story. Teaches a student the step-by-step process of story creation.
- Storybird - A great site with educational portal
where students create art-inspired stories and then embed into a site/blog.
- StoryJumper - A fantastic site for creating a
digital story by building a story from scratch or choosing one of the story
starters. A student can add objects, text, and even upload their own art
- StoryKit - A simple-to-use iOS app for telling a
story by adding text, photos, and audio.
- Storyplanet - A very innovative site for creating
a digital story or video mashup. Users select a theme or template (or create
their own), add video, photos, text, effects, etc. and then share with others.
- StorySmith - A fun iPad app for telling a digital
story with either a fantasy- or pirate-based theme.
- Storytelling Alice - A wonderful free PC app that
allows users to create a digital story. Helps build programming skills.
- Strip Designer - A iOS app similar to Comic Life
for creating a digital comic.
- Toontastic - One of the most popular and fun iPad
apps for digital storytelling by adding characters/objects to a background and
recording your audio while moving the pieces around.
- Tell a Tale - A interesting iPad app that has a
user verbally tell a story based on the first and last sentence of a story and
- Tellagami - A nice way to tell a short story by
creating an avatar and then recording audio, similar to Voki.
- Tumblecloud - A unique site that allows users to
collaborate on a digital story through a drag-n-drop interface.
- UtellStory - A nice place to tell a story through
audio, images, and video, as well as collaborating with others.
- VoiceThread - One of the most popular educational
sites/apps for creating a interactive digital storytelling by uploading
multimedia content and recording an audio narration. A finished VoiceThread can
then be embedded into a site/blog.
- Web of
Stories - A community where users tell their story through the
use of video.
- WriteComics - A simple to use site for creating a
digital comic to tell a story.
- Xtranormal - A very popular site for creating
stunning animated videos, with educational portal.
- Zeen -
Create a story by adding text, images, music, videos and more, then embed into a
site to share.
- ZooBurst - An innovative site and iPad app for
creating 3D digital popup books.